Om - A mystically soothing sound. Either you listen to it or say it, it always takes us in different zone. A zone of quietude, serenity, tranquility.But have you ever imagined that Omkar is also a sound form. So it proves that sound forms plays a major role on our mental tranquility.
When you say any sound form in a specific way or I should say in specific frequency which is proportional to the other sound frequency it becomes Music. Music which has the capability to make you feel emotional, energetic, sad,happy etc.
World wide it is accepted after many researches that music & different sound forms has different different effects on your Mind & Body. With the reference of this fact we can say that Music can be used in therapeutic healing too.
“Music is the mediator between spiritual and sensual life”
Music as Beethoven said is a mediator in life, today there are different genres of music for every individual. Music is what expresses your feelings, like art, music speak to your soul. For happiness or sadness, for birth, death, marriage, parties, festivals everybody turns to music.
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”
- Bob Marley
Reasons why music works as therapy:
1. Music is a core function in our brain: our brain is primed early on to respond to and process music. Research has shown that day old infants are able to detect differences in rhythmic patterns. Mothers across the world use lullabies and rhythmic rocking to calm their crying babies. Our brains are wired to respond to music even though it’s not essential for our survival.
2. Our bodies entertain to rhythm: have you ever been doing a chore and humming as well? That’s called entertainment. Our motor systems naturally match a rhythmic beat. When a musical input enters our central nervous system via the auditory nerve, most of the input goes to the brain for processing but some of it heads straight to motor nerves in our spinal cord. This makes our muscles move to the rhythm without us having to think or try.
3. We have psychological responses to music: each time your breathing quickens, your heart rate increases or you feel a shiver down your spine that’s a signal that your body is responding psychologically to music.
4. Music taps into our emotions: have you heard any song or music and felt happy or sad? Music taps into our emotional systems whether it’s from music itself or associations of music. We can use this in a therapeutic way.
5. Music helps improve attention: music therapists target their patient’s attention and impulse control goals to improve and function and succeed.
6. Music enhances learning: we teach our children ABCs through songs right? The inherent structure and emotional pull toward music makes it an easy tool for teaching concepts, ideas, and information. Music not only makes it easy to learn but also easy to recall later.
In India Hindustani classical Music have been acclaimed to have calming effects on the human body, mind and soul. Proper ragas of Indian classical music are found to stimulate the brain, relieve the tension and alleviate the fatigue when listened regularly. This Hindustani classical music therapy does not actually treat the signs and symptoms but it makes the brain stronger and capable enough to battle the diseases.
Ancient science like Ayurveda believes that most of the health problems occur due to the imbalance in Vaat ,Pitta, Kapha. Hindustani classical music if used in specific way may benefit people in balancing this Tridoshas.
In ancient scriptures and story tales, the Hindustani classical ragas of India have been effectively used to help People. For example raga called MALHAR can bring rains. Similarly, DEEPAK raga can light the candles when needed.
As its mentioned on Wikipedia, “According to a legend, once the Mughal emperor Akbar asked his court musicianTansen to sing Raga Deepak, the raga of fire. The effect was such that all the lamps in the courtyard lit up themselves, and Tansen’s body became so hot that he had to sit in the nearby river to cool himself. However, the river began to boil, and it became apparent that Tansen would soon boil to death. He set out on a search to find someone who could sing Raga Malhar to cure him. In due course he reached Vadnagar, in Gujarat, where he found two sisters, Tana and Riri, whom he asked for help. They agreed to sing Raga Malhar to cure him. When they sang the Raga, rains came down in torrents, which cooled Tansen’s body immediately.”
Dr. Shrirang Upasani
B.H.M.S. ( Homoeopathic Physician )
Certified Music therapist ( Sur sanjeevani trust )
Are your kids dreading to go back to school after Vacations?
Going back to school after a long summer vacation seems so tedious. Let’s be realistic nobody likes going back to their daily monotonous routine and adhering to the strict weekly timetable. With the beginning of a new academic year makes all the good summer memories fade away. As the strict bed time and early morning wakeup calls are coming close and children are realizing that their leisure time will be replaced by homework and assignments it gives them anxiety and hatred towards school. A few more things that gives your child anxiety are new teachers, new class, new faces, etc. does your child squirm on the topic of school? As a parent it is a difficult task to understand and cooperate with you.
Talk to your child about why they are nervous about starting school again: ask your child if he is scared that he will struggle with upcoming school work or if he is anxious because he will have to participate in sports and other compulsory classes. Another issue of schools is bulling, your child might not open up to you but must be suffering and dreading school because he is bullied. Reminding your child of how he enjoyed the previous year and what challenges and experiences he will have in the coming year is something to look out for. You should also try to gradually install and set bed time so that they do not struggle after school reopens. Be organized before school reopens and arrange school book, pencils, uniforms etc. before the school year begins. Summer changing into monsoon causes different effects on your children like infectious diseases, extreme weather related conditions, heat stress, and respiratory disease. The World Health Organization estimates that more than 88% of the existing global burden of disease is caused due to climate change occur in children. So we need to deal not only the Emotional effects but also physical illnesses.
Get your child help and talk to him/her , if you find it difficult to communicate with your child bring him to our clinic and we through are methods of Homoeopathic and Bach flower treatment can help your child to reduce and slowly remove all his/her problems with patience and love.
Contact us at,
Pune Center of Homoeopathy
1, Nivedita Gardens, Kondhwa Pune
Tel: +91-20-2683-6752, +91-9822002994
Mahaveer Health Care Center,Mumbai
B-1,Mahaveer,Near Post office, Vile parle (west),
Mumbai, (only Wednesdays)